06 September 2011

Reset

After my week off, plus the extra day of the long weekend, it was back to work for me. Last night I dutifully set my clock radio's alarm before going to sleep. I even checked to make sure the volume was high enough and it was tuned to an actual station instead of just static (it's an older clock radio, with rotary controls on the side that sometimes get bumped).

This morning I woke up to no sound. I rolled over and looked at the time; it was almost an hour after the time I normally get up. I sat up and took a closer look at the clock radio, and saw what I'd missed in my pre-bed fatigue the night before: The alarm was set correctly, but after our ten-second power outage last weekend, I had reset the time incorrectly, so it was in PM instead of AM, and since I hadn't needed it all week, I hadn't noticed. Oops.

As I jumped out of bed and headed toward the bathroom, I thought to myself that even though this was not a fortuitous way to start my first day back to work, I felt great from the extra hour of sleep I wasn't supposed to have gotten.

No comments: