23 January 2012

Awareness

Residing on my list of perpetual annoyances is people who don't pay attention to what's happening around them, resulting in the inconveniencing of other people (mostly me, but sometimes others). As I was leaving work today, there was a guy standing at the top of the stairway down to the first floor and the exit. He was in the process of putting on a trench coat, and he was standing in such a way that he was blocking the stairs.

My approach was from behind him on his left side, so he didn't see me. I stopped and waited for him to finish. He shrugged the coat on, and back off again, and back on and back off again. I think the collar was getting caught on his clothing underneath, or something, but after ten seconds I decided I didn't want to wait any longer. I said "excuse me" and went on past him. But he didn't need to be standing in that spot in the first place; just to the right there is an area with armchairs that is not directly in the path of anyone who might be leaving the building.

Yes, sure, people sometimes get distracted, but frankly, most of the time it's because they just can't be bothered to pay attention in the first place. I am always very conscious of my surroundings, and of whether or not I might be blocking someone's way. If you ride public transit, you kind of need to be, but it also connects to my visual limitations and the fact that heightened attention helps me compensate for things I might not be able to see as soon as another person might.

No comments: