18 January 2012

Sports Talk

On my way home from work yesterday, the guy sitting next to me said, "Excuse me, are you a Giants fan?" He was an older gentleman wearing a Celtics jacket.

Trying to determine whether he was a typical T weirdo or a somewhat more normal person, I raised an eyebrow and said, with as little affect as I could, "No." He answered that since he could see that I was reading the sports section of the New York Times, he thought I might be a Giants fan. I told him that the Times has excellent sports coverage, including a reporter who specifically covers the Patriots. I showed him her byline on the story I was reading.

It turned out that he was a native of Indianapolis who had moved to the Boston area almost a quarter-century ago, and over time had become a Boston sports fan. As such, his friends back in Indianapolis had been harassing him via text message regarding the Pats' postseason success. (But hey, they're Colts fans, so they don't have anything better to do at this point, right?)

We proceeded to have a very pleasant conversation about the Patriots, the Ravens, the upcoming game, last weekend's games, his family, his semi-retired state, and several other random topics. I was glad he had made the effort to speak to me, and I hope I see him again (which I may, since we both were heading to Wellington to board buses).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI I'm glad you talked to him too See there are NICE people who ride the T, like you! GO PATS!! guess who