12 January 2012

Wet and Windy

I'm always (still?) a bit surprised when I see people struggling and flailing with umbrellas on really windy days like today. Believe me, I hate getting rained on, but an umbrella is essentially useless when the wind is blowing at 30 miles an hour. I brought mine with me today in case the wind subsides later, but I didn't open it on the way to the bus stop. I managed by covering my head with a wool hat, which is naturally water repellent.

I have a bus-stop acquaintance who has one of those clear plastic bubble-style umbrellas, and those are probably the best approach on a day like today. Because of their deeper bowl shape, they are less likely to get inverted by the wind.

But sometimes a jacket with a hood is the better option. I remember reading the blog of a Bostonian who was transplanted to Seattle, where they have a certain familiarity with rain. She reported that Seattleites have a dim view of those who choose to carry umbrellas, and you basically have to go with hooded Gore-Tex if you want to fit in.

No comments: