24 September 2012

Emmy Fatigue

I spent last night flipping back and forth between the Patriots game and the Emmy awards ceremony. I'm kind of glad I didn't end up devoting my full attention to either event, because both were letdowns (for different reasons).

As usual, most of the Emmy winners were people who had already won, making for a predictable and disappointing program. I haven't seen Homeland, but I've heard many good things about it, and I'm sure I will get around to seeing it soon. I'm happy the academy recognized the show and its actors and creators, but it came at Mad Men's expense. I'm less disappointed about the show not winning a fifth Best Drama award than I am that Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss, Christina Hendricks, and Jared Harris were shut out of the acting awards. At this point it seems no one from MM is ever going to win an acting Emmy, which is a real shame.

It was nice to see Louis CK get recognized for his work on his great, great show. Maybe Amy Poehler's turn will come next year. On the other hand, I'm not sure at the exact point Ricky Gervais became such an utter asshole that I can no longer stand the sight of his face nor the sound of his voice, but when he appeared last night I had to switch back to the game. And Jimmy Kimmel was a big disappointment as host; pretty much everything he did and said fell flat.

I sincerely hope Lena Dunham uses some of what she's earned/earning from HBO for Girls to invest in the services of a stylist. Look, I get it, you're a 26-year-old hipster chick chronicling the lives of twentysomething hipster chicks: you're supposed to be edgy and look like you don't care about stuff like fashion or beauty. But that dress looks like something that your grandmother would have rejected as too frumpy, and I don't think you understand how eye makeup is supposed to be used.

P.S. I love Elisabeth Moss as a blonde, but the dress she chose to wear was iffy, too. Nice cut, awful fabric.

No comments: