07 September 2012

Retro Video Unit (9/7/12)

Yep, remembered to do it on the correct day this time...

Of all the music and videos I have posted here from the late 1970s and MTV eras (those tags are perhaps overly broad, but they'll do), New Order is probably one of the most personally significant bands to me. During my freshman year in college I was walking down a hall in the dorm and heard a song coming out of someone's room that was so unlike anything I had heard before that I literally came to a stop so I could listen to it.

It turned out it was being played on a college station, and I was eventually able to learn that the song was "Temptation" by New Order. If the only version of it you know is the one that was included on the greatest-hits album Substance, you haven't really heard the song, because that isn't the version of the song as it was originally released. (The version on Substance is lighter and poppier, and the vocals are sung at a higher pitch.)

But there's no video for "Temptation," so I'm going with "Blue Monday," another particularly fine rendering of New Order's distinctive style. I don't recall ever seeing this on MTV, which isn't all that surprising, and makes it that much more interesting (to me, at least).


No comments: