17 September 2012

Words Not Minced

Last week was Fashion Week in New York, where designers show their collections for the forthcoming season (in this case, next spring) and everyone loses their collective mind over some trend or other. Even though I spend an inordinate amount of time shopping for and thinking about clothes, I don't pay any attention to what goes on at Fashion Week, because it has absolutely no relevance to how I dress or what I might consider buying.

Designers often structure their collections around a theme, which is an entirely justifiable creative impulse. However, sometimes the chosen theme is so obtuse, recycled, or just plain wrong that it merits special (negative) attention.

I consider Michael Bastian a talented designer whose work is best seen in his own namesake collection. Those clothes are classically styled but with a more modern cut, made exceptionally well of beautiful fabrics, and are obscenely expensive.

His line for Gant, however, is another thing entirely, and a young thrifter and blogger from Portland, ME who goes by A Fistful of Style has done a deservedly venomous takedown of the spring 2013 collection from Gant by Michael Bastian. Read it first, then see for yourself. It is honestly insulting to think that he and Gant expect people to pay good money for this horrible-looking retread crap, but obviously I am not the target market for the line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After seeing this (http://afistfulofstyle.tumblr.com/tagged/In_Action) which I guess comes from your 'good taste' let's say,I could care less about what you might think of Gant by MB ss'13, for sure you have no clue what FASHION is all about and what a great collection this one was.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Some Assembly Required said...

I never said I was a fan of the way AFOS dresses; he is far too much of a maximalist to me, and he's significantly younger and can get away with stuff a guy approaching 50 can't. But that was also kind of my point about the Gant by Bastian collection: it is clearly for a younger guy, and clearly one who did not learn from those particular fashion tragedies the first time around (because he was still in grade school).

Some Assembly Required said...

And for the record, the correct use of the expression is "I COULDN'T care less."