11 September 2012

Tedium

I finally finished switching computers, although I would have been done a lot sooner if I had not drawn out the process so much.

The big time sucks were the iTunes library and browser bookmarks. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had set up both computers with iCloud, but I didn't see the point of doing that with a computer I was about to stop using. There was also a reason why I didn't want to use Firefox Sync to match the bookmark sets, but I've already forgotten what it was. I copied the bookmarks file over to  the new Mac, but I still had to visit each site manually and re-bookmark it.

As for iTunes, I copied a bunch of music that was on the older computer onto a flash drive and dropped it in the newer one, so that only took a few minutes. I was trying to find a way to transfer my playlists instead of having to rebuild them, but when I took a good look at my music library I realized that I had only three playlists that I used with any regularity, and that I had put any effort into compiling. So I just went ahead and recreated them manually with the two computers sitting side by side.

Hopefully this type of thing won't be an issue in the future, because either my stuff will be living in the cloud (or at least backed up to a cloud somewhere) or I'll just be moving to a new computer (one without anything on it that I want to keep) and can use the Migration Assistant to automate the process.

No comments: