10 September 2010

Watch Wednesday Thursday Friday! (9/10/10)

Well, apparently I haven't been paying attention--according to my self-imposed schedule, I was supposed to do a watch post last week, and I'm a couple of days late in getting to the make-up post. So...
This watch is about 20 years old, so it splits the difference between modern and vintage, as far as I'm concerned. Carriage was a cheapo sub-brand of Timex that was sold at discount stores; I bought this one at the late, unlamented Bradlees, probably for around $20. I guess I liked the military-inspired styling, and it's easy to read.

I had not worn this watch in a decade or so, but recently I was digging through some boxes of stuff, looking for something else, when I came across it. As you can see, I wore it pretty hard; there are numerous scrapes on the crystal around the 8 and 11 positions. I used to wear this when I was working in retail, so that probably explains the scratches. I have a feeling I could buff at least some of them out, if I set my mind to it.

Last week when I was off from work, I went downtown one day to the Watch Hospital on Bromfield Street and had them put a new battery in this, and it's been running fine since. It didn't have a strap when I found it, but the one that originally came on it was very similar to this tan one, which I took off another old Timex that isn't really keeping accurate time at the moment. I wish I could find more straps this color.

Now, the other thing about this watch is that it looks almost exactly like the one that J. Crew sells for $150 (snort). Some people are really into that watch; I think anyone who pays $150 for a modern quartz Timex is foolish. I may even buy a nylon strap for this so it looks like the J. Crew one, just to see if anyone notices and asks me about it.

No comments: