10 August 2012

10 Things I'm Into Right Now

A Proper Bostonian recently did one of her occasional "10 Things I Love Right Now" posts, and it inspired me to come up with my own list, though I've decided not to use the word "love," at least not the first time out. That's just how I am.

Season 5 of Breaking Bad: I really wish AMC had not chosen to split this show's final season into two halves, holding the remaining eight episodes until next summer, but it's a fairly common programming strategy these days, at least on cable channels. When next summer comes around, I'll probably be glad to have those final episodes to watch. As a bonus, the trajectory of the story this season is giving us more of the grumpy greatness of Mike, and tomorrow's TWiA will have a Mike-centric treat.

Political Animals on the USA network: American TV networks and programming executives are slowly warming up to the British approach of limited-length story telling, and this six-episode series about a family dedicated to public service is an example of how to do it properly. (You can watch the first four episodes at that link.) A shorter run of episodes means a reduced time commitment from the cast and crew, meaning it's possible to attract big-name film actors like Sigourney Weaver, Carla Gugino, CiarĂ¡n Hinds, and Ellen Burstyn, who might otherwise not want to commit to the four- or six-month shooting schedule required by a more traditional show. It also helps that the writing is excellent and the stories are compelling. There's already talk of doing a second season of this show, and if it happens I'll be looking forward to it.

Yak & Yeti: this Indian (and Nepali) restaurant in Somerville's Ball Square (diagonally across from Lyndell's bakery) has been our favorite Indian place since it opened a couple of years ago. We probably get takeout more frequently than we go there to eat, but either way it's delicious, and everyone who works there is refreshingly pleasant.

My Troy & Abed In The Morning mug: this is a meta reference to the NBC comedy Community. On the show, Troy and Abed are best friends who occasionally perform an imaginary morning radio program. It's imaginary in the sense that, while they actually do the show, they are not on any radio station when they do it. (I think a lot of us did this when we were kids; I know I did.) It goes nicely with my mugs from TGS with Tracy Jordan (the show within the show on 30 Rock) and the Pawnee Harvest Festival from Parks and Recreation.
Smoked cheddar from Foxboro Cheese: I discovered this company at our local farmers' market about a month ago. They make several varieties of cheese, including mozzarella, regular and smoked Gouda, Asiago, and medium and sharp cheddar. I bought the smoked cheddar and devoured it within a week. They also carry beef and veal at their farm store, which is just south of Gillette Stadium.

Reading books: not working this summer has given me more time to read. In the past month I've completed books on entrepreneurship, iconic American cars, and the battle for height supremacy between the Chrysler Building and the Manhattan Company Building. Now I'm trying to decide what to read next. Oops, I thought I'd forgotten a book, and I did: this crime novel by George Pelecanos.

The NOOK: I didn't think an ebook reader was something I was interested in having, but a couple of weeks ago I was in Barnes & Noble and wandered over to the NOOK display. I had never handled one of these devices in person, but as soon as I started fiddling with the $139 NOOK Simple Touch with the backlit screen, I was instantly smitten. It's extremely simple to use, and while an iPad may be more versatile, I think the NOOK makes a convincing argument for a dedicated reading device. I do worry that I would immediately go overboard on ebook purchases, though.

First looks at fall clothes: you knew I had to get this in here somewhere, right? It may be miserably uncomfortable outside, but in the land of retailing it's time for the new fall stuff. My currently diminished circumstances mean I need to cool it on discretionary purchases until I find another job, but I can still browse, and by the time I'm working again a lot of fall pieces will already be on sale. And I do have a $25 reward card from J. Crew that I have to use by September 15th, I think—if I could figure out where I put it...

New music: I don't buy as much music as I used to, but lately I've been listening to new or recent releases from Of Monsters And Men, Chicane, The dBs, and The Gaslight Anthem, and also enjoying an old Chemical Brothers album that I'd forgotten I owned. And the boston.com streaming radio station created from the ashes of WFNX launches next Monday, August 13th.

Our air conditioning: speaking of miserably uncomfortable, this has been quite a steamy and unpleasant summer for those of us who don't enjoy heat and humidity, but thankfully we are able to keep our apartment blissfully cool (though the kitchen stubbornly remains a few degrees higher than the other rooms, even when we aren't cooking). And since our electric bill runs only around $35 per month the rest of the year, I don't mind the added cost of comfort for three or four months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

top 10's were great! enjoyed them! me