14 August 2012

Tuned Out

Yesterday I "tuned into" boston.com's new streaming radio station, RadioBDC, a couple of hours after it had started broadcasting. I heard the tail end of a song by Queens of the Stone Age, followed by a brief ad, then "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. Deeply disappointed, I turned it off.

I expected more. I really thought that the people behind this project were aiming for something different. I had hoped that, at the least, there might be something of a focus on the less familiar, on artists that don't get airplay on regular terrestrial radio stations. I certainly did not expect to hear one of the low points of '90s rock. I could turn on WBOS and likely hear that dreck within an hour or two, if I could stand to listen that long. And just because something got played on WFNX back when it was new doesn't automatically mean it should be played on a station starting from scratch in a newish medium.

At least there is a little widget over on the right side of boston.com that shows you what song is playing on RadioBDC at a given moment. Right now it's "Knives Out" by Radiohead, so maybe there's some reason for hope after all.

No comments: