06 August 2010

Chilled (Well and Not So Much)

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like more often than not, the air conditioning on the Orange Line trains has been barely adequate this summer. I've been riding plenty of Green Line trains too, and the AC on those seems much stronger, especially on the newer low-floor cars.

I remember when that wasn't always the case. Back in the '80s when I was in college, it was much more common to board a Green Line train and find that the AC was working only in the front half of the car. You'd look at the train coming into a station and wonder why the back half was so empty, then get on and go "oh, yeah..."

Boarding the bus in the morning is like stepping into a walk-in fridge. Yesterday when I got off the bus at Wellington, my glasses fogged up from the abrupt change in temperature.

Mind you, I don't like that climate change has made us so dependent on air conditioning for comfort. But if you have to have it, it should at least work.

No comments: