12 August 2010

Footwear Daydreams

So, I was never able to get the sneakers that I was wishing for back in the spring because they never showed up for sale anywhere (believe me, I checked). It's possible that the white/red colorway was never intended for the US market and just ended up in the promo picture with the other versions, and no one did anything about it, or maybe it was supposed to be produced but was canceled at the last minute; things like that happen a lot in the apparel and shoe industries. Maybe they'll still appear, though summer is almost over and they aren't really a fall item.

Converse has been plastering the web with advertising lately, for things like a line of Dr. Seuss-themed All-Stars, versions with nylon uppers, and still more variations. This gray leather version caught my eye when I first saw it (I tried to copy the picture to paste in here, but the Converse site wouldn't let me), but after going back and giving it a closer look, it's totally wrong for me. I was sucked in by the gray leather, but I don't like the detailing around the front of the sole, I don't like the perforations above the toe, and I don't like the raised signature on the side.

Plus, when's the last time anything that said "Chuck Taylor" on it was actually comfortable? That's the dark secret of Chucks, something almost no one talks about: the things weigh a ton, and they're not exactly famous for being supportive. I had one pair in the mid-'80s, and I had to give up on them after a while. If I was going to get anything from Converse, I think it would be these charcoal canvas CVOs--look at that, actual collar and tongue padding!

But in general, I haven't been as interested in sneakers as I used to be. The venerable adidas Stan Smith (reasonably comfortable, though not exceptionally so) has recently been released with some nice new trim colors beyond the boring old green and navy, like these white and red ones (again, can't copy the images), or white and royal, or white and silver. (They did some similar shoes a couple of years ago, but the colored leather trim pieces were metallic, which was just tragic.) But it's kind of hard for me to get excited about them. I guess I don't wear sneakers as much as I used to.

What I really want for fall is a pair of made-in-USA Red Wing boots. I mentioned the J. Crew collaboration last week, and those were the first Red Wings that I noticed, but after I looked at their product lineup I found other boots that I like better, like this one called the Iron Ranger, which has a somewhat more sophisticated air about it, while still being plenty rugged.
The color is called "amber," and while it doesn't particularly evoke amber to me, I think it's quite beautiful--the leather has a subtle natural luster to it. Other things I like about this style are the speed-lacing pegs for easier lacing and removal, and the fact that it's available in wide widths. What I don't like so much is the sole, which is completely flat--I worry about traction, especially on wet days.

Another option is this one, the Gentleman Traveler in "black cherry":
Similar style, different details. It doesn't have the speed pegs and isn't available in wide (though I think these tend to be built a little on the wider side in general), but it does have a lugged sole, and it's another quite beautiful color. The GT is also available in black or a wonderful medium brown called "chestnut":
The amber color of the Iron Ranger kind of splits the difference between these two shades, and it's probably the most versatile. Decisions, decisions...

Naturally, this kind of quality and made-in-USA craftsmanship doesn't come cheap: these styles typically sell for around $270 to $300 a pair, though they can occasionally be found for less through Amazon, and there's also a decent secondary market on Style Forum, where you can grab gently used examples for about $100 off list price. It's not like they're going to wear out, and someone else will have done the breaking in for you.

Also complicating any decision is the sizing: everyone says these run large, and you need to get them at least one size smaller than your normal shoe size. Fine, except there's really no such thing as a "normal" shoe size anymore (not for me, at least). I need to find a store that carries at least some of the Red Wing styles and try them on before I can even think about buying a pair, from Style Forum or anywhere else. And then there's the 1,000 Mile Boot from Wolverine...

No comments: