25 August 2010

Damp

I know people are upset about the weather this week, and I can certainly understand that--if you're on vacation this week (like my boss is), you have every right to be disappointed. But I don't mind it. I'm happy to have a reprieve from what has been a hotter and more humid summer than we usually get; the air conditioners have been off for almost a week, which saves some money, and we sure needed some rain.

Of course the T was a complete clusterfuck this morning, with all sorts of signal problems on the Green and Orange lines. Since it's been raining for a few days now, I figured it was only a matter of time until we had a horrific T morning. Somehow I managed to get to work more or less on time, and without getting soaked, plus I was able to sit down at North Station, which doesn't happen that often.

I know the temperatures have been cooler than normal for this time of year, but I've seen a couple of people who seem confused about what month it actually is. On Monday evening, heading home on the Orange Line, there was a guy wearing a lightweight black shell jacket, and one of those fur trapper hats with the long ear flaps. Great for a blizzard, not exactly effective rain gear. The next day I saw a woman wearing a wool pea coat; maybe she too was chilly. I've been wearing my lightest Gore-Tex rain jacket and it's been difficult to keep it on because I quickly overheat in it.

Well, no matter--tomorrow is supposed to be a really nice day, and by Sunday it's supposed to be 90 again, and stay that way for several days. Of course it is--I'm taking next week off...

No comments: