20 October 2011

Casing the iPhone

Now that I have an iPhone, I think I need a case for it. But I can't stand those neoprene "bumper" things, which do nothing to protect the glass anyway. I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do, because I have not seen much out there that isn't crap.

The iPhone is thinner than my Palm Pre, but it's also about half an inch taller. The Pre also had rounded edges on every side, making carrying it in my pants pocket easier, even in its case. I guess what I want is a protective case for when the phone is in my bag or pocket, but one that it's also easy to remove the phone from for when I want to use it.

I have seen a couple of things that fit these general parameters. Twelve South makes cool cases that look like antique books, for iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks. Their iPhone case also serves as a wallet, a feature I would be unlikely to use but could be handy. Overall I like the idea of this, and Twelve South's cases are made in the USA, but it might be a little too precious.

I found something similar in the guise of a Moleskine notebook, which would work nicely, but the product page says it's for the iPhone 3 and 3GS, which suggests that either they are a bit behind in development, or they decided not to proceed with making a version to fit the iPhone 4, in which case I would be out of luck.

Orvis has a rather rugged-looking leather case that's sort of like a pocket notepad with a slot large enough to slide an iPhone into. At $70 it's more expensive than either of the others, but it's distinctive (a quality I always consider when making a decision such as this one) and it's also made in the USA.

If anyone has suggestions, please send them along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you cannot use an iPhone 4 case for your 4s; Props on getting the 4s BTW. Apple moved it's environmental light sensor on the 4S, so if you use a case made for the 4, your screen will not dim correctly.

Anonymous said...

Watch out for cases that say 4 or 4S. One size doesn't fit both models. Cases are starting to come, given the newness of the product. So far, I've seen good reviews for the Tuff-Lov by In-Genius. The Griffin Elan Form Graphite feels like carbon fibers but without the higher price. For sheer looks and eco-friendliness, Grove has a line of Bamboo cases, but they haven't retooled yet for the 4S.

A Proper Bostonian said...

The "bumper" cases that Apple sells (the one I think you're talking about) are designed to protect the corners of the glass, where the phone is most likely to crack when dropped. We learned this from some MIT guy e started talking to on the T, who had one and overheard us talking about cases. The lousy rectangle of plastic is $30 so I'm not advocating it for that reason. But that's the thinking behind its being so minimal.