17 October 2011

The Return of Shoe Misery

Until I went looking for those penny loafers last week, I hadn't thought about shoes that much, because I had been more focused on sneakers for the summer months, and also because I had been trying to stay away from buying "regular" shoes since they tend to cost more than sneakers. In the interim, I had kind of forgotten about the problems I often have when trying to buy shoes.

Those Bass loafers arrived on Friday, and while the leather had a nice matte finish and the unfinished leather edges did not look as bad as I had thought (I still would have wanted to have them darkened), the shoes themselves did not fit. This is because this particular style is only available in medium width, and I usually need wide. I didn't think it would be enough of a difference to matter, but after struggling to stuff my feet into the shoes, I knew I wouldn't be able to wear them.

Sometimes this style of loafers will stretch with wearing, but there's no guarantee of that, and I was afraid I would spend two months suffering each time I wore them without getting any resulta. So back they've gone.

No comments: