05 October 2011

It's Time

Like many other people, I spent my lunch yesterday refreshing my browser page on a tech blog as the information about the latest iPhone unspooled across the web. We knew what to expect, and yet we didn't, because so much (sometimes conflicting) information had been swirling around in recent weeks.

As I've mentioned before, I like my Palm Pre, but the lack of app development has made it a somewhat disappointing smartphone experience. My other area of reluctance was the iPhone's virtual keyboard, but to be honest, the keyboard on the Pre is kinda terrible, so I don't see how tapping virtual keys on glass could be worse.

As someone who's been an Apple adherent for 20 years, I knew I should have an iPhone, but in January 2010 when I got this current phone, there was still no iPhone for Verizon. When that appeared this past winter, it was too soon for me to make the switch without it costing more than I could justify. I decided to wait until my upgrade discount came up.

As of last week I am eligible for a discounted phone upgrade. (It seems early, but when I sign into my Verizon account, that's what it tells me.) And here we are with the iPhone 4S about to go on sale. Do I need to replace my phone right this minute? Not really, but I would have gone ahead and upgraded to a new phone some time in the next couple of months anyway, and I've gone without iPhone goodness for four years now, so why should I wait any longer? It's time.

Preorders start this Friday, which seems like a smarter way to go than standing in line a week from Friday, when the new iPhone goes on sale. This should be interesting, and it will probably give me something to write about.

No comments: