27 October 2011

Shopping Locally

On Sunday I visited the fourth installment of the semiannual Top Shelf Flea Market. At around 1 pm the VFW was absolutely teeming with people, which hopefully translated into big sales for the vendors. I've been to all of them, and this was the busiest I've seen it. There was even a greyhound tied up outside the entrance, waiting patiently for its people to finish shopping. I got a vintage made-in-England tweed jacket from Giuseppe, but his booth was so busy I didn't have a chance to chat with him.

Later on I headed down the street to Porter Square Books, because I needed to pick up a 2012 Moleskine calendar notebook. I've been carrying one of these for several years now. The version I like is arranged with a week down the left-hand pages, and blank, lined right-hand pages. There are other layouts, but this one works best for me. Since I pay all my bills online, I use the notebook to (among other things) make notes for when I make the payments and how much, in case I need to refer back.

The bookstore was also quite busy, which was great. It's a well-run store, and I always like to see local, independent businesses thriving, especially a bookstore at a time when all bookstores are threatened by online giants, warehouse clubs, and the growth of ebook readers. PSB filled a void in the area, and has become established enough to attract a busy slate of author appearances and support two book clubs (one for adults, one for kids). It also has a very good coffee bar.

Navigating the parking lot and environs of the Porter Square Shopping Center can be tricky, especially on weekends, but that's to be expected when a suburban-style strip mall is located in the midst of a densely-packed urban area. Don't let that deter you—just pay attention when you're walking in the lot.

No comments: