22 October 2011

A Shoe Solution

Not sure where yesterday got to... it's not like I was exactly maxed out at work. Anyway, I just wanted to briefly mention that the universe stepped in and helped me solve the black-loafer problem.

The same day I sent back those Bass loafers that weren't wide enough, I found an eBay auction for a pair of black Allen Edmonds Walden penny loafers in 10.5 wide. I've been checking the AE listings on eBay for months, and the only black loafers I'd seen in wide were in a condition that I didn't think was worth bidding on.

The AE shoes are made in USA, which is always preferable; I've also searched for older Bass loafers from back when they still made their shoes in USA, and one pair did come up a couple of months back, but I lost that auction. This time I had the Buy It Now option, and I took it. These shoes have been worn (it's evident from the soles and heels) but the uppers still look nearly new, so clearly they have been cared for, which benefits both the seller and me.

The best part is that I ended up spending significantly less than even the $90 sale price of the Bass shoes, and got arguably better-made shoes in the process.

It may also be worth mentioning here that about a year ago, a salesman at the AE store downtown on Devonshire Street tried to tell me that with a pair of their Walden loafers I would not need to wear wide, because the shoes would stretch. I didn't try them on at the time, but I knew in my gut that he was wrong. As I mentioned the other day, there is no guarantee that a pair of shoes will stretch simply from wearing them, and if you do that, then you probably can't return them.

Sometimes shoes can be stretched by shoe repair professionals, but your mileage will certainly vary. You know your own feet better than anyone else, so don't be talked into something just because you think you want it or it looks good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yah, man. Bass is dead! They have traded quality workmanship in favor of trademarks. I have gone through 2 pairs in less than a year; the soles wear down too easily and the stitching tends to give way around the front upper. Decided I'll go with a look alike if I can. Thanks for the AE recommendation, BTW. Nice shop.